Sunday, December 2, 2012

Chapel of Quietude Part 2.1 Construction



So I've finally been able to start on my behemoth sized chapel.  This week I left for work Monday morning and got back saturday morning.  My wife left town friday night so this left me a weekend of hobby time galore.  I took the plans I drew up in Part 1 and started applying them to the 1/2" sheathing I bought last weekend.  A lot of measurements ended up being changed as I found out they wouldn't look right or it was going to be too difficult to work out with my foam.  This part was relatively easy compared to the next step, cutting it all out.  I have spent hours and hours cutting this stuff up.  I've found the easiest way is to score the foam about a 1/4 to 1/2 the way through then break it.  I originally was using a razor that you can push out further to try and cut through but it didn't work as well as I was hoping.  I also have a hot wire to cut the foam but I don't like the smell and didn't draw the measurements assuming the line it makes as it melts the styrofoam.  I did however use it to cut out the windows and some of my other detail work, now my house smells like melted styrofoam.  But hey lets let the pictures speak for themselves.
Cutting everything out definitely takes  the longest.

I was trying to get a better idea of the scale.  Even the mighty dreadnought looks tiny. 

I was doing some test fitting and decided to snap a pic.  My plans had this raised floor a little higher but it didn't look right.

The lights worked!

Test fitting the front entrance, this thing was a pain to glue together and get it to mesh with the wall well.

The front needs a lot of detail work.  But even the land raider looks small.

It's massive, like truly massive.

I am really happy how the chapter logo ended up looking.

The door is big it should let most things pass during gameplay.

 I definitely feel like it captures the feeling I would think an Imperial Chapel would convey.  With the details I'm sure it will also capture the character of my chapter, the Guardians of Silence.

No comments:

Post a Comment